The NTCB Certification Process
The first step toward certification is to become certified as a technician. Having been certified as a technician, candidates may then accomplish certification as a specialist. PLEASE NOTE: Technicians have one year to complete their requirements to become Biofeedback Specialists.
STEP 1 – Candidates must study the materials concerning Codes of Ethics, Informed Consent Forms, and Client Confidentiality in the NTCB Information section of our website.
STEP 2 - Candidates complete 85 CEU of basic skills training with an approved education organization (scroll to bottom of page for links to biofeedback / neurofeedback organizations) or a certified biofeedback or neurotherapy instructor. Review the appropriate blueprint requirements to become a certified technician in either biofeedback or neurotherapy. The three most important components of the Technician Blueprint requirements for certification are:
- Code of Professional Ethics *
- Informed Consent Form *
- Ten hour practicum of face-to-face, hands-on,or remote viewing biofeedback training on classmates or clients using a biofeedback device with a supervisor present
* Part of the Coaching Correspondence Course.
STEP 3 - Candidates must complete the technician application process for either biofeedback or neurotherapy and return it to NTCB.
STEP 4 – Candidates are expected to complete intermediate and advanced training within one year of becoming certified as a technician. The most three important components of this additional training are:
- Complete a course on anatomy and physiology if you have not already done so
- Complete a coaching workshop unless licensed to prescribe or diagnose
- Finish intermediate and advanced clinical skills training
STEP 5 - Upon mastering the technician requirements, complete the requirements for certification as either a biofeedback or neurofeedback specialist and pass the proctored Specialist Certification Examination.